The 36 Communes
City of Bompas
The last rampart of the Salanque with its market gardens, the town is located on the left bank of the Têt, 4 km from Perpignan and 10 km from the Mediterranean beaches.
The area of the commune is 570 hectares and its altitude varies between 9 and 20 metres.
The Via Domitia crossed the territory of the commune in ancient times. The only evidence of this period is a treasure trove of Gallic and Roman coins discovered in 1910 near the old Charlemagne road, comprising 650 coins of the Volco-Tectosages and 13 consular denarii dating from 139 to 74 BC.
Number of inhabitants
The town of Bompas has approximately 7,413 inhabitants. Its inhabitants are called the Bompassencqs.
From "Malpas" to "Bompas
Ceded by the Count of Roussillon to the Knights Templar, the site was named "Mal Pas" in the 12th century because the ford over the Têt, probably frequented by brigands, was considered dangerous. Later, the Hospitallers, who succeeded the Templars, built hospices, laid out roads and protected travellers. And they helped travellers who wished to cross the Basse by building a bridge, which appears on the town's coat of arms. Thus, in the Middle Ages, "Mal Pas" became "Bon Pas", and then became "Bompas" at the beginning of the 19th century.